COVID-19 Response

Dear CSPA Workshop 2020 students and applicants,

The board of directors of the California Scholastic Press Association continues to monitor the recommendations of public health authorities at the local and state levels, as well as those from our host institution, Cal Poly San Luis Obispo, amid the COVID-19 pandemic.

At this time, we are still cautiously planning the 69th annual CSPA High School Journalism Workshop, scheduled for July 5-17 at Cal Poly SLO. As the situation evolves, we will update accepted students, applicants, their families, and our community through email, on our website and through social media.

We have added a page to the CSPA website that includes this message, and it will include all future messages and information about our response to COVID-19. It can be accessed from the menu under the Apply tab, and will also be linked from the FAQ page.

We take the responsibility of carrying on the tradition of this workshop very seriously. Nothing pains us more than the idea of a summer away from Cal Poly. However, that decision may not be ours to make. Due to the uncertainty of the situation, we have made the following changes to our policies.

  • We will continue will our application review process, and will resume notifications of accepted students (like many of you, we took a short break to transition to work from home).
  • Upon acceptance, all payment deadlines will remain the same.
  • If campus, local and/or state officials require us to cancel the workshop, all fees paid to that point, including deposits, will be refunded in full.
  • If campus, local and/or state officials require us to cancel the workshop, any student accepted to that point can choose to defer their workshop experience to the 2021 summer with their $400 deposit (assuming they are returning to high school for the 2020-21 academic year). Any additional funds paid would be refunded for now, and the rate of $1,975 would remain locked and payment expected in spring 2021.

This will not be our final communication about our response to COVID-19. As we learn more, we will update you.

For now, please stay well.

In good health,

CSPA Board of Directors